Life in the USA

2015 U.S. Department of State Statistics on Au Pairs by State and Country of Origin
The following information applies to all Agent Au Pair program participants regardless of location.

Medical Insurance

Au Pairs that have been placed with Agent Au Pair after November 1, 2016 are covered under a Medical Insurance Plan through:

Our Medical Provider Network is through the First Health Network:

TW Lord and Associates
25 Dodd Street
Marietta, Georgia 30060, USA

If you have a question or if a claim needs to be filed, please call:
Free Phone: (800) 633-2360
Phone: (770) 427-2461

To locate a provider in your area, please use this website:

Au Pairs placed by Agent Au Pair prior to November 1, 2016 receive Medical Insurance through Secutive:

To access your complete insurance information, including the general insurance conditions, all important contact information and a VISA letter, please login to your personal MyInsurance area at:

To create your personal account, you will need:

  • Your Last Name
  • Your First Name
  • Certificate Number
  • Your Date of Birth

Please note: you can also use Facebook

U.S Department of State Regulations for Au Pairs

All international au pairs must apply with a U.S. Department of State designated sponsor, like Agent Au Pair. Au Pairs are able to enter and remain in the U.S. for the length of their program under the J-1 visa program which covers cultural and educational exchange opportunities.

Common J-1 Visa Questions from the U.S Department of State

Under The Code of Federal Regulations on Foreign Visitor Regulations, section 62.31, this program provides participants with “the opportunity to live with an American host family and participate directly in the home life of the host family.  All au pair participants provide child care services to the host family and attend a U.S. post-secondary educational institution.  Au pairs provide up to forty-five (45) hours of child care services per week and pursue not less than six semester hours of academic credit or its equivalent during their year of participation.”

Social Security Card Information

The Social Security Administration will issue a “Valid for Work Only With DHS Authorization” Social Security card once an au pair arrives.  Applications must be made in person to the local Social Security Office in the au pair's community within four days of arriving in the U.S. You can find your local Social Security Office here.

When applying, the following documents must be submitted:

Further information from the Social Security Office on applying for your Social Security Card can be found here.
Social Security will verify your status in SEVIS before assigning a Social Security Number and issuing a card.

Au Pair Tax Information

Au pairs receive a Workbook during the Au Pair School informing them of their responsibility to pay taxes. Agent Au Pair recommends that au pairs save up to 2 weeks' stipend in case they owe taxes. Below is information useful for au pairs when filing taxes. Taxes are due April 15th for the prior year's earnings.

Tax ID: 94-3407180


Social Security and Medicare Taxes

Au pair wages are not usually subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes because of the au pair's status as a J-1 non-immigrant and as a nonresident alien. However, if the au pair had previously been in the United States as a student, teacher, trainee, or researcher in F, J, M, or Q non-immigrant status, then the au pair might be a resident alien during his/her current stay in the United States, and might be subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes if his annual au pair wages exceed the applicable dollar threshold found in Publication 926. Please refer to Alien Liability for Social Security and Medicare Tax.

If the au pair is a resident alien and his annual au pair wages exceed the applicable dollar threshold, then the host family must withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes and report them on Schedule H, Household Employment Taxes, Form 1040 and on Form W-2. The host family will need to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) if it is required to withhold tax and file Form W-2.

Income Tax Withholding

Because au pair wages are paid for domestic work in a private home, they are not subject to mandatory U.S. income tax withholding and reporting on Forms 941 and W-2. However, au pair wages can be included in the gross income of the recipients, and au pairs are required to file U.S. individual income tax returns.

At the current wage rate, it is likely that the au pair will have an income tax liability on their U.S. individual income tax return because nonresident aliens (with certain exceptions) are not able to claim the Standard Deduction. For this reason, it is recommended that the au pair take one of the following two steps:

File and pay U.S. estimated income tax payments during the year on Form 1040ES-NR if the au pair is is a nonresident alien, or on Form 1040-ES if the au pair is a resident alien, or if both the au pair and the host family agree, file Form W-4 with his host family, indicating on line 6 of such form that the au pair voluntarily wishes a withholding amount of U.S. federal income tax deducted from his weekly au pair wages. The host family will report and pay over this withheld federal income tax on Schedule H of Form 1040. The host family will also issue Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement to the au pair to report his au pair wages and income tax withholding. The host family will need to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) if it decides to withhold tax and file Form W-2. The au pair will need to apply for a U.S. social security number.

Income Tax Filing

Most au pairs are nonresident aliens, and therefore will be required to file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ to report their au pair wages. As a nonresident alien, an au pair is not eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit. An au pair is not really a "student" in the United States, and therefore is not eligible to exclude his au pair wages from gross income under the student article of any U.S. income tax treaty.

Please visit IRS website to obtain the appropriate tax forms or follow the link to the Form 1040NR-EZ.