Au Pair Training School
Every au pair attends a comprehensive Au Pair Training School and Orientation Program in New Haven, Connecticut at the beginning of the program year as they prepare to join their host family.
This custom program is designed both to educate au pairs on child development and safety and to ensure they have an understanding of the great responsibility that comes with being an au pair for an American family. The Au Pair Training School staff employs a range of online material, lectures, readings, videos, active discussions, and hands-on activities to connect with each au pair in a meaningful and informative manner.
In addition to work completed in their home country while preparing for departure, au pairs spend multiple days at our Au Pair School where they attend small-group sessions that provide detailed information on a broad range of child safety and child development topics.
Benefits of the Au Pair School
The Au Pair Training School is a great way for au pairs to overcome jet lag, ask questions in a comfortable environment, and prepare for the meaningful work they will accomplish with their host children. It is also a way for au pairs to meet one another and classmates often stay in touch throughout the entire program year.
Au Pair Training School Content
The Au Pair Training School topics include the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of an au pair
- Health Insurance, J-1 Visas, and Program Regulations
- American culture & the typical American household
- Creating a positive working relationship with host parents
- Preparing for culture shock
- Exclusive Training in Renzulli Learning Methods
- In- depth Child Development and Safety courses for:
- Newborns to 12 months,
- Age 12 months to 24 months,
- Ages 2 to 5
- Ages 5 to 12+
- Establishing routines and maintaining flexibility
- Health and nutritional needs of children
- Child temperament and communicating effectively with children of all ages
- Sibling relationships and how to care for more than one child at a time
- Household safety & hygiene
- Safety training for infants, toddlers and young children, and much more!
2018-2019 Au Pair School & US Orientation Start Dates
Host Families are responsible for au pair flights and transportation expenses from the Au Pair School to their home. Au Pairs should arrive at their Au Pair School Location the day before the school begins.
Our Au Pair Training School is scheduled to take place on the dates below.
- Wednesday, October 17, 2018
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018
- Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- Wednesday, January 9, 2019
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- Wednesday, February 5, 2019
** Dates are subject to change.
A complete schedule of our 2018 Au Pair Training School and Orientation dates can be found here.
A complete schedule of our 2019 Au Pair Training School and Orientation dates can be found here.
Exclusive Training in Renzulli Learning Methods
Our au pairs receive exclusive training in the teaching methods of Joseph S. Renzulli, a leading expert in the field of Gifted and Talented Education. Renzulli has helped millions of children to develop advanced learning skills and higher academic performance.
Agent Au Pair infuses Renzulli teaching methods into our program to elevate its learning benefits. Au pairs are trained in Renzulli methods and leverage the Renzulli Learning System. The host family children's strengths, interests, learning and expression styles are identified and au pairs work with the host children on project based learning activities . The Renzulli Learning System includes thousands of interest based resources and projects for au pairs and their host children to enjoy.
A recent outcomes study of the Au Pair Program revealed that many au pairs enter an education related or related career. The unique training in Renzulli methods provides our au pairs with valuable career skills no other au pair program can offer.