Become An Au Pair
Thanks for your interest in Agent Au Pair, the world’s most innovative au pair program. If you love an adventure and are great with children, Agent Au Pair is right for you. Au Pair applicants must meet all of the U.S. Department of State requirements to be qualified for the au pair program.
Requirements to become an au pair with Agent Au Pair:
- Between the ages of 18 and 26
- Be available for a 12 month cultural exchange program
- Have at least 500 hours of previous childcare experience
- Have good English language skills
- Be a secondary school graduate or equivalent
- Be in good health and have no criminal record
- Have a driver’s license
Frequently Asked Questions
Program fees to become an au pair in the USA range from $400 USD to $1,500 USD. Our international partner agents charge fees according to their individual policies and procedures. Each agent and country sets their fees based on a number of criteria, which may include local market conditions, supply and demand, and other economic and cultural criteria.
- Application and document processing in the home country
- An educational allowance up to $500 (TutorCare $1,000)
- A 30 day travel period after successful completion of your program
- Consultation and assistance when interviewing with families
- Exclusive access to Renzulli Learning
- Health Insurance
- Local support from a Local Coordinator
- Matching services
- Minimum weekly stipend of $195.75 (Au Pair Pro $265, TutorCare $146.81)
- Red Cross Safety and CPR Instruction
- Return travel arrangements upon the successful completion of the program
- Transportation from the airport to hotel in New Haven, CT.
- Transportation instructions to your host family
- Travel arrangements to the United States
- Visa application advice and assistance
- 24 Hour Emergency hotline
- 3 day Au Pair Orientation with au pairs from other countries
- Any additional educational component overages
- Any instructional driving lessons
- Possible luggage fees for all flights
- SEVIS Fee and the Embassy Fee are not included in the Program Fees
- Travel expenses to your interview and home-country airfair
The Au Pair Program has a minimum of 12 months, so individuals are not allowed to come to the United States on the au pair program and stay less than 12 months. Individuals have the option of staying longer than 12 months by extending their au pair program with the same host family or a new host family. Au pairs have the option to extend for 3, 6, or 12 months.
Agent Au Pair recommends applying as soon as you have committed to participating in the au pair program. It takes roughly 3 to 4 weeks to complete your application – including gathering all your necessary documents.
Once you complete your application, the amount of time depends on when you apply and when you’re able to come to the United States. Many au pairs receive interview requests from potential host families within the first month. However, it can take between 1 – 6 months to be matched with the right family.
Yes, you may apply if you are willing to obtain your driver’s license before coming to the United States.